Thoughts
Comments 37

How’s your 2020?

Dolce far niente.

Pura vida.

No worries.

Hakuna matata.

These four adages are from 4 different continents and yet they mean the same thing. And that is, to live a life without troubles.

In this fast pace modern world, that is far from happening. Everyday is a hustle. And probably, the only time we get to do that is when we are on vacation. Usually, that lasts a few weeks in a year. However, even then, things don’t go as planned. As Murphy’s law stated, anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. So, that’s life in a nutshell.

Not worrying may sound so simple and easy to do but trust me, it is far from it. There is a whole process you have to go through in order to completely clear your head and focus on the moment. You might think, oh that’s easy, I’ll just sit there and stay still. Yes, sure, you can do that. But then, your mind wanders… You can’t avoid thinking about your boring job, your failed relationships, your neglected diet, your feud with your brother and so on.

That’s the thing, you can’t just turn off your brain like a switch. Even when you are asleep, your brain is at work. You could have 8 hours of sleep and wake up feeling like sh*t. The emotional and psychological ramifications of a dream lingers as you are waking up and go about your day. Eventually, you get tired of the routine. Your mental health is affected and it has gotten so much worse that it manifests physically.

I should know. I’ve lived it. I used to be in the rat race. I used to be tied to a desk from 9-5 thinking my dreams are way beyond my reach. Sadly, I did not even try to change my situation back then. I was raised to live in the mainstream. What do I know, I had nobody in my circle who had left the 9-5 and now ‘living the dream’, whatever it means for them. But, that should not be an excuse. If you can’t find an example, be the example.

If you have been following my blog for a while, you would know how and why I left a stable job for a life of uncertainties. It sounds daunting and it is! But it’s all I could ever ask for. Besides, life is already full uncertainties, what’s another one, right?

Everyone wants stability, a routine, a sense of security… Until 2020 arrived. The whole world suddenly did a 180 and shook the stability that many people were ‘enjoying’. Tons of people lost their income, their houses and their minds. It’s been a though year and it’s still not over.

I’m not here to scare you or anything but I’m here to let you know that you are not alone. We are all overwhelmed and drained. But hey, that’s normal. It’s perfectly normal to feel down in these difficult times. But you know what we can do? Pick ourselves up. You don’t have to do it in a snap. Take your time. Find what inspires you and fixate on that. The path you used to take may not be there anymore but make a new one. The world is full of possibilities. If there isn’t one, make it. This year, taught us to be resilient and creative. Chin up and keep moving forward.

Pura vida from Costa Rica! ❀

This entry was posted in: Thoughts

by

Hey there! I am a small town girl who used to work as a Software Engineer for a Fortune 500 company. I left my 9-5 job to travel the world. I am a certified Level 2 scuba diver, a Vinyasa yogi and a former IT professor. I love trekking the mountains, fishing and camping. I speak 5 languages. Cheers!

37 Comments

1. Hang Around The World says

This year has been so crazy for everyone and not beautiful… I hope for a better new year for all the world. – Paolo

2. We’ve all had our ups and downs this year. I pray next year for more ups. But I still have so much to be thankful for. I really try to live more towards the “Hakuna matata” vibe, but sometimes it can be hard! But the main thing is, that we try really hard and pick ourselves up and keep going. Here is to a better 2021! πŸ™‚

3. Wowww! Very well said Sar! It’s a positive push to what I’m feeling lately – scared of turning 40 and feeling the hamster wheeling life hehehe I know though that the feeling is just another one of those passing clouds though! Hehe! Sending love from Cebu, Philippines!

• Hi Kresh, thanks for dropping by. I am happy to have sent some positive vibes on your way. As the famous proverb states: this too shall pass. Life is full of struggles but we are full of strength and perseverance. Find inspiration around you and stay strong! πŸ™‚

4. How 2020 was for me? Well, you better ask me next year – sadly, I don’t have many good things to say about this year – for obvious reasons.

5. amayszingblogs says

My 2020 is terrible and devastated aside from my anxieties and heartbreaks that I went through this year I’m still hoping for the best and I’m looking positively on 2021 πŸ™‚

6. I have no idea that 2020 ran by so fast and it’s November already, I do experienced some new things apart from traveling, and have a lot more “Facetime” parties with friends and family that I never did. – knycx journeying

• One of the good things that the lockdown has given us is connecting more with our friends and family that we wouldn’t have done on normal circumstances.

7. Thanks for your kind words! This has given me strength. This year was definitely not good for most of the people. And I was one of them.
    But it is okay ..to not feel good all the time.

8. Agnes Dela Cruz says

My 2020 was a mixture of unprecedented events. I lost my job for 17yrs but I am happy that we are all safe.

9. Things have been different and sometimes difficult this year, but I feel that it has been good too. My husband and I are going to the gym regularly, talking to family on skype often and starting our online business.

10. Michele @ ourredonkulouslife says

This has to be the most boring year I have had. It is bizarre to say that we are in November. It feels like 2020 just flew by.

11. So true what you said, 2020 bought so many struggles and uncertainties, everything you had planned was just thrown out. But we’re all hoping for a better year and trying to pick up the pieces because that’s all we can do really.

12. Blair Villanueva says

2020 isn’t good for everyone, including me but we are trying our best to enjoy what we have. I hope that 2021 will be better, but if it still the same, I won’t be complaining πŸ™‚

13. Lyosha Varezhkina says

I do hope for better future. 2020 is very mixed to me. I feel like my life became totally different but I like it now. I miss traveling deeply. In my own case I am not where I was supposed to me right now according to plans but for now I think it’s for the better now. If you asked me same question during March I would have answered something very sharp and negative. The only thing I can find no positivity about it is a loss in my family and the pandemic taking away the precious time me and my passed family member could have had together,

14. It’s a great question you’ve asked. This year, I think, has caused many people to be either more conscious about their life experiences or situations, or has caused them to be more objective about their life experiences. I think this distance is necessary if we want to make lasting positive changes in our lives.

15. Kenneth says

my 2020 is really a struggle..im a chef on a cruise chef based on miami,,,cruise was halt due to covid..until now we dont know when cruise will start again..its really difficult for us working on a cruise ship

16. sigh…my 2020 was just 1 word, boring stay home without my usual travelling overseas. I miss my travelling plans, a good side is I have spent more time with my family members comparatively πŸ˜€

17. megworld936248201 says

Thank you so much. It’s so important for people to feel they are not alone especially with the current situation. Hope next year is better!

Share your thoughts. I would love to hear them!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s