Destinations
Comments 41

Rock cut Balinese temple of Gunung Kawi

There are too many temples in Bali that we often confuse one with the other. On the way over to Pura Tirta Empul, we went to Gunung Kawi by mistake. Well, what do you do when life gives you lemons?

Of course, we made lemonade! We got off our motorbike, paid the admission and grabbed some sarongs. We had no idea where the temple was so we just followed along with the crowd and hiked down a set of steps past a few more local vendors. Apparently, the entire site sits in a small river valley.

The scenery on the way over was fresh and breathtaking with rice fields in view.

Gunung Kawi Rice Terraces Panorama.JPG

Gunung Kawi Rice Terraces.JPG

When we first reached the bottom of the steps leading down to the river, we saw 4 tombs on the left and a small Balinese temple shrine was set up next to them. These are thought to be the tombs of King Anak Wangsu’s concubines.

Gunung Kawi Temple.JPG

The holy Pakersian River flows through the centre of Gunung Kawi cutting the site into two separate sections with a bridge to connect one side to the other. It is believed the holy waters of the Pakerisan sanctify Gunung Kawi, and the eerie beauty of the place evokes a peaceful atmosphere.

Gunung Kawi Creek.JPG

Crossing the river on the small bridge brought us to the more impressive Royal Tombs. These are thought to be the King’s and his favorite wives’ tomb. The design of the candi structures at Gunung Kawi resembles that of 3-sectional structures in Java that were built with a stone capped grave to represent hell earth and heaven.

Gunung Kawi.JPG

There is a Bhuddist monastery at the rear of the complex and cells hewn out of the rock around a stone pavilion within a courtyard. It is believed that the monks that lived here were most probably the caretakers of Gunung Kawi. To the east of this main group of cloisters, there can be found a smaller and second group of cells and thought to be used for sleeping and partaking in meals.

Gunung Kawi Shrines.JPG

There is no other way out but up so if you are thinking of visiting Gunung Kawi as part of your temple run, go easy on your way up. If you find yourself catching your breath, make a stop and maybe enjoy a fresh coconut juice.

Have you been to Gunung Kawi? What did you think of it?

Travelosio Sarah Osio Signature

This entry was posted in: Destinations

by

Hey there! I am a small town girl who used to work as a Software Engineer for a Fortune 500 company. I left my 9-5 job to travel the world. I am a certified Level 2 scuba diver, a Vinyasa yogi and a former IT professor. I love trekking the mountains, fishing and camping. I speak 5 languages. Cheers!

41 Comments

1. soulsensecoaching says

I love visiting temples and this looks beautiful. Definitely an unexpected surprise worth exploring!

2. I was amazed by the King’s and his favorite wives’ tomb. Are there 4 wives? And it was built with a stone-capped grave to represent hell earth and heaven. Isnt’ it magnificent? truly our history did make a lot of sense, very original and bold.

3. momknowsbest15 says

I would love to see this place. It is so pretty with all the green and the water.

4. thetravelpockets says

The more I read about Bali, the more I want to go there. The tombs are so cool!

5. No I have not been here, but I must say it is gorgeous. I’m amazed at all the nature green in these pics. So pretty. I thinknitnwould be fascinating to see the rock cut temple. Bucket listing a temple run 😉

6. I have to say that you’ve made a really damn good lemonade. The place is really beautiful, all surrounded by nature. I wouldn’t mind is I mistakenly would get there. 🙂

7. Karlyn Cruz says

This place is really something. I’ve always known Bali to be a really authentic place but the nature here is just so engraved with their temples.

8. Elizabeth O. says

It’s a beautiful place to visit! I love the breathtaking view. It would be nice to take it slow though and just take your time climbing up. It would be a waste to get past such a lovely view so fast!

9. EG III says

That’s the beauty of getting lost. Sometimes getting lost is the best way to be found. In hindsight, if you could go back and directly visit Pura Tirta and skip Gunung Kawi…I guessing you probably wouldn’t!

10. I think getting lost is the best way to discover a place and with views like these why not. I have not been to Bali yet but hope to visit one day soon

11. lastchance3 says

This place is gorgeous! What a privilege it must have been to see! I really need to add Bali to my travel list.

12. this looks amazing! i’ve been to bali or indonesia so many times before but haven’t seen this temple! thanks for the post! will check it out next time im back!

13. Bali has alot of nice destinations and this is one so good too.

Amazing scape and lovely images.

14. What an amazing find. You have to marvel at the human creative spirit. Even without the modern tool people find a way to leave a lasting impact on humanity.

15. This is amazing! The trip looked like so much fun. TO be honest, I’m a little jealous of the older colonizations. Their architecture was breathtaking and their systems were perfect. Not to mention, life was so much easier.

16. Robin Rue says

This looks like such a beautiful area! I would love to be able to visit somewhere like this with all the old style structure.

Share your thoughts. I would love to hear them!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s