Carly is a travel and lifestyle blogger, and last year she quit my job as a paramedic in Canada and moved back to the UK. Now, she lives life as an expat (with her puppy!) and use her home in NW England as a base for exploring Europe, and the world! She likes to explore as many UNESCO World Heritage Sites as possible, drink good wine and experience local culture.
1. How do you afford to travel?
I lived on savings for quite a while during traveling but the money did eventually run out. Since then, I’ve adopted a cycle of living a minimalistic lifestyle, saving, and taking shorter trips. It’s a bit easier now that I’m living within Europe – the airfare is so much cheaper.
2. What do you miss most about home when you’re away?
My doggies! And I always end up desperately missing home cooked meals.
3. What was the best place you stayed in? I loved my stay at this little B&B called Cumberland House in Horley, England. This place has won awards for the best breakfast and it definitely deserves it. The owners are amazing and just down the street is Ye Olde Six Belles, one of the oldest pubs in England. 4. What’s the longest you’ve been away from home? I’ve currently been away from home for 7 months, which is the longest I’ve ever been away. 5. Who was the most inspiring person you met while traveling? I met an older woman in Barcelona who was from South America. She had been travelling the world doing textile shows for her work and she was just so inspiring. She didn’t let anything stop her from doing what she loved and she didn’t take crap from anyone.
6. Who is your dream travel companion?
Honestly, I would really love to travel with my mum. She’s always been very supportive of my travel ambitions and I’d love to explore a bit of the world with her. Plus we both like wine, so we’d have a lot of fun.
7. What’s the most interesting animal you’ve seen?
Hmm. I’d probably have to say a lynx – I used to see a lot of wildlife when I worked in industrial medicine, because I was stationed far out in the Canadian wild.
8. What can’t you travel without? My Macbook Air, as it’s my office, my means of communication and my entertainment when I’m in at night or enduring hours of transportation. I also don’t travel without some sort of sarong or big scarf, because they’re so versatile and useful. 9. What place is top of your bucket list? Top of my list right now is Turkey and Morocco!
10. What destination have you found to be overrated?
I found Paris super overrated. I have never experienced lines like the ones in this city and I thought people were pushy and kinda rude. Yeah, the attractions were pretty cool once I finally got in but once I’d seen them, I didn’t find Paris offered much for me. I was solo, it wasn’t romantic, there was dog shit everywhere, and with the exception of one really good falafel place, the food was unimpressive.
Watch out for the next featured Travel Blogger!
SEND A MESSAGE TO TRAVELOSIO.BLOG(AT)GMAIL(DOT)COM IF YOU WANT TO BE THE NEXT FEATURED TRAVEL BLOGGER ON 10 QUESTIONS.